Michigan Friends of Companion Animals Coalition
Michigan Friends of Companion Animals is a coalition and network of businesses and animal welfare organizations supporting stronger laws and ordinances to protect animals in breeding facilities and families from irresponsible pet retailers.
Michigan Friends of Companion Animals is building a coalition of businesses, animal welfare organizations, foster-based rescues, shelters, veterinarians, dog groomers and boarding facilities to:
- Pass the Large Scale Commercial Dog Breeder Act SB 339, which will help to curb puppy mills in the state.
- Pass the Humane Pet Acquisition Ordinance in local communities, which will protect families from irresponsible pet retailers.
- Sign-on pet supply stores to the Puppy Friendly Pet Store program to make an official policy not to sell puppies or kittens
To join the coalition, please send your logo and letter of support on your organization's letterhead using the online form or send to pmamichinfo AT yahoo.com. Together we can foster more positive change throughout the state!
~ Download Brochure for Members
~ Download Invitation
~ Download Letter of Support Template
There are a variety of events scheduled throughout the 2015-2016 legislative session that are open to the public and coalition members are encouraged to attend:
- Monthly workshops and webinars are scheduled from July through November 2015.
- Key hearings in Lansing. Coalition members can provide specific testimony in writing and/or in person.
- Key County Commissioner and City Council Meetings. The coalition seeks to pass county resolutions supporting both the state legislation and model retail ban ordinance. Speakers may be lined up to cover various topics during public comment. Each speaker usually is allowed three minutes to share comment without questions from commissioners or council members.
- Citizen lobbying events related to the pending legislation and be introduced on the balcony of the state House and Senate chambers.